- "Galactica is not a relic, it's a classic. And I for one happen to appreciate the classics."
- Admiral Helena Cain
The Battlestar Galactica (BS 75) was one of the first Battlestar vessels to be constructed in the defence of the Twelve Colonies. The last ship of its class to still be in service of the Colonial Military Fleet, a few regarded Galactica as a ‘classic’, though many saw the her as a relic. With no Integrated Defence Software and no computer network, she was scheduled for decommission. With the Cylon attack on the Twelve Colonies, Galactica become the sole protector of the civilian fleet in the search for earth.
- During the First Cylon War (which takes place before the events of the new series), Galactica was built to represent the Caprica colony. She was built without networked computers to avoid being hacked by the Cylons
- During the 10th year of the Cylon war, rookie (fresh meat) William Adama comes aboard the Galactica. After Lt. Adama's first mission and rescue the Galactica and the Ghost Fleet launched a new offensive.
- During the First Cylon War, Galactica along with the Columbia and one other unnamed Battlestar took part in Operation Raptor Talon; where the Columbia is destroyed with all hands.
- Many years after the war, Galactica was one of the oldest ships in the fleet, and was scheduled to be decommissioned and turned into a museum. Various conversions were taking place and most of her onboard squadrons were removed.
- During the decommissioning ceremony, the cylon attacks on the colonies began. After a battle, including many direct strikes, Galactica successfully jumped away to the Ragnar Anchorage depot.
- Galactica then leads and defends a small fleet of civilian ships on the search for resources and a new place to settle.